Russia is located in Eurasia (the combined continental landmass of Europe and Asia). It is the largest and one of the most popular countries in the world. Here are the 15 interesting Facts About Russia you might have not known.
- 10 Amazing Facts about Turkey
- 20 Amazing Facts About New Zealand
- 14 Astonishing & Amazing Facts About Australia
General Facts About Russia (At a Glance)
- Total Population: 144,5 million people
- Capital: Moscow
- Life expectancy: 71.87 years (Males: 66.5 & Females: 77.06)
- Highest Mountain: Mount Elbrus (5642 meters)
- Land area: 17,125,191 km2 (6,612,073 sq mi)
- Largest Lake: Lake Baikal
- National Day: June 12
- Government: Federal dominant-party semi-presidential constitutional republic
- President: Vladimir Putin
- Currency: Russian ruble (₽) (RUB)
- Official language: Russian.
- Religion: No official religion, but about 40% are Russian Orthodox.
- Member of Nato: No
- National song: “State Anthem of the Russian Federation”
- Time zone: UTC+2 to +12
- Country Number/Prefix: 007
- Country Code: RU
The Russian Flag
15 Interesting Facts about Russia
1. World’s Largest Country by Area
Russia is the world’s largest country by area. It accounts for more than one-ninth of the earth’s terrestrial area and spread across 17 million sq km (6.6 million sq miles).
2. Russia is as Big as PlutoRussia is as Big as Pluto Click To Tweet
Russia is almost as big as Pluto. Russia spreads across 17 million sq km while Pluto at 17.6 million sq km.
3. Russia lies in both Europe and AsiaRussia lies in both Europe and Asia Click To Tweet
One-quarter of Russian territory is in Europe and three quarters in Asia. Notably, only 22% of the population resides in the Asian region.
(Source: World Atlas)
4. Russia shares a border with 14 countriesRussia shares a border with 14 countries Click To Tweet
Russia shares a border with 14 different countries in the world. Which is more than any country in the world.
- North Korea.
(Source: The Telegraph)
5. More time zones than any other CountryRussia has 9 times zone which is more than any other country in the world. Click To Tweet
Russia has 9 times zone which is more than any other country in the world.
6. Deepest Lake in the WorldThe deepest lake in the world is in Russia. Lake Baikal is an ancient, massive and the deepest lake in the world. Click To Tweet
The deepest lake in the world is in Russia. Lake Baikal is an ancient, massive and the deepest lake in the world. It contains about 20% of the world’s freshwater in the unfrozen form.
7. Deadliest Lake in the WorldRussia is also the home of the deadliest lake in the world. Click To Tweet
Russia is also the home of the deadliest lake in the world. Lake Karachay near the Russian Urals city of Chelyabinsk in the southern Ural mountains is the most dangerous lake. It is because of the nuclear wastes that get dumped into this lake. It is so radioactive that standing beside it for an hour can kill anyone.
8. Russia has a National Sex DayRussia has a National Sex Day. Click To Tweet
Each year on 12th September, a day of Conception or Procreation Day is celebrated. It was made popular by the region Ulyanovsk (the birthplace of Lenin). Russians take a day off in order to make babies, unsurprisingly, it’s working quite well because the birthrate every year in the month of June is higher than in other months.
9. Most Billionaires
Moscow, the capital of Russia is home to 73 billionaires which is the second most than any other city. It only ranks behind New York with 82 and Hong Kong with 75 billionaires.
10. Biggest DrinkersRussians are the world’s fourth-biggest drinkers. Until 2011, anything with less than 10% alcohol was considered a foodstuff – and not alcohol. Click To Tweet
Russians are the world’s fourth-biggest drinkers. They only lag behind Belarus, Moldova and Lithuania. Until 2011, anything with less than 10% alcohol was considered a foodstuff – and not alcohol.
11. Coldest Inhabited Place On EarthRussia is home to the coldest inhabited place on Earth. On 6th February 1933, the temperature of Oymyakon was recorded to be -67.8 °C by its weather station. Click To Tweet
Russia is home to the coldest inhabited place on Earth. On 6th February 1933, the temperature of Oymyakon was recorded to be -67.8 °C by its weather station.
(Source: The Telegraph)
12. World’s First Satelite
The world’s first satellite Sputnik was launched by the Soviet Union in 1957.
13. Dialing Code
The dialling code for Russia is 007.
(Source: Country Code)
14. Russia Sold Alaska to the USRussia sold Alaska to the United States for $7.2 million. Click To Tweet
In 1867, Russia sold Alaska to the United States for $7.2 million. If we adjust the inflation, the United States bought Alaska for $118 million in today’s value.
15. Record of Giving BirthA Russian woman holds the world record of giving birth, to 69 children. Which is a world record. Click To Tweet
A Russian woman holds the world record of giving birth, to 69 children, which is a world record.
How many of these facts about Russia did you know before reading this? Share your result in the comment section below!